Thursday, February 19, 2009

Huzzah!

Today I officially finished the Winter Ulpan at HU, which of course means that I am fully fluent in Hebrew. Except that I lack a large vocabulary and working knowledge of the vast majority of the language. But we still call that fluent in Hebrew right? What is the Hebrew word for fluent....?

Anyway, next week marks the beginning of real classes in English! Plus more Hebrew... I decided to go with the intensive option which involves an extra half hour a day, so we'll see how that goes. My ulpan teacher assured us that by May we would finish the book, take the level exam and move up from Aleph to Bet (Aleph-Bet! Get it?). So by then I should be fairly conversational, although they probably won't be too crazy.

Until then,

Libree-oot (which if you mispronounce, means 'noodles' instead of 'good-bye/bless you')

1 comment:

  1. Yay for "fluency"!! I'm supposedly "semi-advanced" in my Russian... When I tried to call the Russian consulate... the guy kept having to say "I don't understand you."

    But congrats!! I hope the English classes help give you a little bit of a linguistic break!

    ReplyDelete